Tuesday, July 17, 2012

A Beach Paradise During Monsoon Season

This past weekend I took a trip to Goa with Daniela. Originally a Portugese colony, Goa is now the smallest state in India, and is known for its beaches. Daniela wanted to visit Goa while here, and I had many people tell me that Goa is a must see while in India. So, I packed up my overnight bag and boarded a plane headed for Goa.

We stayed at this wonderful little hotel called Sonesta Inns. There was NO ONE there. With the exception of an Indian family and what looked like a couple on their honeymoon, the hotel was empty. Upon arrival at our hotel around 7 pm we checked in and tried to figure out where we were going to eat. I was given a huge list of great restaurants in Goa by a friend of mine, so we figured we would scour over that. As it turns out, monsoon season is their off season (imagine that) and every place we called was closed.

Upon dropping us off at the hotel after dinner, the cabbie suggested we go to a spice plantation the following day, seeing as we had not found any touristy stuff to do, we happily agreed and made our way to our rooms. The next morning we had breakfast and hopped in the cab headed out for a little sight seeing. First on the list was a very old church, if I remember correctly it is the Church of St. Francis.




If you were wondering, the thing above the two cherubs heads is the body of St. Francis... he died in 1552. I can only imagine how bad that thing would stink if it was opened. Sorry... I digress


And I also must say this was the most burtal crucifix I have ever seen. 

After the church we made our way to a hindu temple that was beautiful, but overall not that exciting. 



Once we walked though the temple we jumped back in the cab and made our way to the spice plantation. Initially I had no idea what we were in for, I figured it was just going to be a big spice market with a couple of trees here and there... I was quite wrong. This plantation was 150 acres and had spices growing in every corner of all sorts of different plants. The tour was surprisingly impressive, we walked around two acres of the property and the guide explained the purpose and importance a whole bunch of different spices have to the Indian people. When the tour ended, they had some ritual of pouring water down your back signifying that you were "cleansed" or something like that. It was quite uncomfortable and I do not care to do it again.


After that we had a lunch buffet provided by the spice plantation. It was really really really good. They also gave us an opportunity to try fenny (it reminded me of the Slovakian plum brandy I got sick on many times). 


Daniela and I decided to play it safe with the food that night, so we found a nice Italian place and had a nice meal before calling it a night. The day we were meant to leave, we decided to go for a walk around the area, only to find liters of petrol being sold out of old water bottles and makeshift pharmacies were lining the street. We retreated back to the hotel and made a break for the beach.


As you can see, it was quite dreary. Alas, we were in a vacation destination and walking on the beach, so we kept our complaints to ourselves. Overall, Goa was a great trip, with the exception of the copious number of mosquito bites I now have, I am glad that Daniela asked me to join here.

Next up: Mari arrives on Saturday evening and we make our way to Agra and Jaipur. Be prepared for a couple posts on her visit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment