Monday, June 11, 2012

Customs, Climate, Cliffs, and Craic

First, I will start off by saying that Ireland does their customs right. I was in the queue for no more than 15 minutes. Upon reaching the customs officer I handed him my passport and was asked two impossible questions. 1. How are you today? 2. How long will you be here? That was all, no pressing questions about where I will be staying, what I will be doing, or who I will be spending my time with. It was fantastic! I collected my bag and made my way out without the slightest look from any of the customs agents. I was lucky enough to find myself stepping off the plane after my 7 or so hour flight into a beautiful sunny 75 degree weather. After being thanked for bringing the beautiful weather by anyone who heard my accent, Eric and I made our way to Tullamore where I would be spending much of my time. The weather continued like this for a couple days, and I spent as much of it as I could out wandering and getting lost. I spent a weekend at Eric's house in Dunagul, which is close to the boarder of Northern Ireland. He has three lovely children, two of them felt the need to impress my by singing, dancing, and showing me their video games. Osien (pronounced Ocean) is 8 and is obsessed with Minecraft, and Neive (pronounced Knee-V) was so proud of her singing voice that she choreographed a dance and sang to every song that came over the radio. To be honest, it was quite cute and I enjoyed playing with the little ones. Around Dunagul there is a beautiful beach and cliff area that we spent the day wandering around. I spent that night out at the local club with Eric, his wife, and his eldest daughter (Erika). It is always interesting to see the club life of people in different countries and this did not disappoint. But more on the drinking culture of Ireland in another post. That my friends is all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment